Monday, August 3, 2009

Unorthodox XV Photos

One of my girls (by which I mean a girl student of mine) had her quinceañera recently, and I got to join in on the fun. It was an epic 17-hour shoot, but it was loads of fun! My goal was to go a different route from traditional XV photography, which tends to be very straightforward and portrait-centered. There isn't as much of a photojournalistic approach to them, or at least there hasn't been from what I could gather. So, I tried to get a little more creative and fun with things. Here are a few highlights! (Click on 'em to see larger sizes.)

This one puts the ginormity of the dress in perspective. I love the feet all askew and the creepy doll double in the corner. This is definitely not the type of shot one would find in any other Quince album.

This one looks like it migrated into this decade from the 1940s. It also has buttloads of sheer personality. I've never seen chambelanes look so awesome! Maybe I'm biased because I know them, but still. Kudos to the limo driver for letting the kids climb all over the thing!

This one is so romantic, it's enough to make everyone who sees it want to make out. So much chemistry! I really do love lens flare, and I love how the two flares are coming together here; they parallel the couple in a beautiful way.

Since the birthday girl is a huge fan of Twilight, we also did this... the pièce de résistance, if you ask me. I can't imagine that another girl in the world has this in her Quince album... but loads are going to wish they did after they see this! I'm really glad that I was able to give my girl her shot at being Bella!

Congrats to Gabi! She made a beautiful Quinceañera, and her party was a blast! There was dancing into the wee hours, really cool choreographed numbers, and good food. Not a bad way to work 17-hours at all!

1 comment:

ANewMan said...

These are, frankly, the best XV pictures I've ever seen. And I'm enjoying the rest of your photographs as well. Thanks for sharing with me. I look forward to seeing more.