Sunday, December 28, 2008

Joshua Tree

A couple of friends of ours (mine & Axo's) invited us out to Joshua Tree for Christmas. It was like the turning of a chapter for me. Many years ago, my mom and I (along with our roommate at the time, Melissa) just up and decided to drive out to Joshua Tree on New Year's Eve. The intent behind that trip was catharsis, and we definitely got it. We climbed boulders as the sun was beginning to fall, and we made it to Keys View in time to watch the last sunset of the year. Then, we drove to the Bella campground and lay out on the hood of the car wrapped in a blanket staring at the stars. The sky was full of them... it was an amazing trip that I've always wanted to repeat. And I finally got to, thanks to Nic & Zen. Only this time, I got to share it with my husband.

It was relaxing and spiritually rejuvenating. I also got to test my limits as I free-climbed different parts of the Jumbo Rocks with my full camera kit on my back and no one else around. I did some stuff I didn't know I had it in me to do and discovered some new strength. Did I mention that it was dawn and 28 degrees out at the time? I'm surprised I didn't freeze off my fingertips!

In the evenings, it was back home to the Harmony Motel, where Zen & Axo would cook up some amazing grub for the evening. Veggie chili one night, veggie pizza the next. That was usually the time when we would tinker with the Kaossillator too (an awesome little musical toy!).

Here are some of the pictures from the voyage, in no particular order:

A very unusual cactus that we had never seen before.


Sky, on our first night there.


Zen & Nic enjoying the first dusk's hush.


Me playing thespian in the desert.


The road out of the park.
(I took this picture because it was a magical moment listening to Rob Pattinson's "Never Think" and being alone with Axo)


Unreal Tree -- I swear it looks like a painting, except for Axo sitting there.



Axo playing shakuhachi atop a large boulder.



Windmills off the 10.
(I love the lighting in this one.)



My Shadow.
(This is one of my favorite pics of the hole trip. It has an other-worldly look to it.)



Twilight Freak.



CHOLLA!



AxoHaus.
(What a ridiculous little structure... WITH it's own address! I couldn't resist!)



Zen loving the Joshua Trees.



Faith +1
(Inside Joke)



Jumbo Rocks -- billowing up into the sunrise.



A Portrait of Zen.

No comments: