Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Matrimonio Mexica!

When I'm not behind a camera, I'm in front of high schoolers. Last weekend, a former student of mine (who was and remains totally awesome) got married on an island in the Yucatan. Axo (my hubby) and I were so there! It was a beautiful place... just off the cost of San Felipe, about 40 minutes away from Tizimín. My girl looked absolutely amazing, and it was truly a pleasure getting to know her man.

Here's the happy couple. Jessy's wearing the same head dress her mom wore for her wedding decades ago.

I absolutely adore this shot! It's so joyful. At first, they were a little tentative about playing for the camera, but when they did, I was able to snap this frame.

Here's the palapa under which they were wed, and a circle of chairs. Originally, they were going to have the ceremony out in the center of the chair circle, but it was a little too windy and hot. So, we moved under the palapa. It was a very unusual ceremony... sort of shamanistic, based on old Mexica traditions. There was tortilla making, burning of sage, and various offerings from both bride and groom. I'm really glad I got to document something so unique.

Sometimes I like doing a little bit of grainy black and white stuff.

This was the sunset on our first night out to visit the island.

I'm still gobsmacked that I was able to capture this. I've always loved light bridges on water; they make me feel a sense of sacredness. This one, leading into the ultimate orb of light is just awesome. I'm so grateful to have this image in my library.

Axo, looking rather noble.

Axo, looking genuinely happy. I love all that light in his eyes and his slightly crooked smile.

No comments: